How do I record Realised Capital Gain/Loss for Exchange Traded Options (ETO)?
At year-end the options trading account might have a realised capital gain or loss to account for. This can be entered into the Custom Holding Account and then matched off to a Realised Accounting Gain/Loss Business event.
Step 1: Enter Gain or Loss in Custom Holding Account (to adjust the total balance of the Option Account)
Navigate to Fund level > Transactions > Browse Bank Statements
- Select the Options or CFD account
- Enter the capital gain or loss by selecting the + Add
- Enter the Date, Description and amount
- Select Save Transactions.
For gains enter the amount in Cash In and for losses enter the amount in Cash Out field.
Step 2: Take up Realised Gain or Loss for the year
Navigate to Fund level > Transactions > Fund Income > Realised Accounting Gain/Loss
- Select the Custom Holding Account setup for Option
- Enter 30 June xxxx as the Effective Date
- Enter the actual cash received or paid in the Gain/Loss Amount field
- Enter Capital Gain and Capital Loss into relevant Fields
- Select the relevant CGT Classification
- Click on Submit
Enter a positive figure into the Capital Loss field, as this field is designed to be treated as a capital loss.