The Tax Agent Administration screen is where you can electronically lodge SMSF Annual Returns to the Australian Taxation Office and view previous tax returns that have been lodged.
You need to have completed the Prepare Tax Return steps as per Tax Finalisation and Generating the Tax Return article.
The relevant fund must have a relationship with a Tax Agent set up under the Business Contacts, with all SBR details entered for the Tax Agent in Class.
Tax Agent Administration Console
Navigate to Business Level > Periodic Processing > Tax Agent Administration
- Description - displays the full name of the Tax Agent
- ELS User ID (Messages) - displays ELS User ID along with a counter of ELS messages, e.g. A12345 (12)
- Lodgments (Pending) - Click on View to see a list of lodgments awaiting submission
- Submissions - Click on View to see a list of lodgments
- Default Agent - displays yes for the Tax Agent set as the default
- ATO Lodgment Gateway - displays which lodgment gateway has been set for each Tax Agent (useful if a gateway is down)
- Scope - displays the scope of the Tax Agent being set up, i.e. Business/Brand/Fund
Download a summary of lodgments for this business - generates a report in excel showing which returns have been lodged for the entire business
Lodge a Return in the Queue
When you have annual returns that need to be lodged, these will appear under the Lodgments (Pending) column.
- Click on View - under the Lodgments (Pending) column
- Select the desired return(s) by ticking the checkbox
Click the Lodge Selected button
- Accept the declaration
Click the Lodge button
You can tick multiple boxes in the left column to select multiple returns and lodge them in a batch, they must be related to the same financial year (e.g. 2019) to be batched together for lodgment.
To view, any funds lodged, refer to the Submissions column.
- Transmission Message - click View to see the message
- Validation Message - click the View to see the message
- Accepted - displays the ratio, e.g. 1/1 shows you whether the lodgment was successful or not (Green if the success ratio is 100%)
You can click on the ratio to drill down to see which returns have lodged and which have not. If the lodgment was unsuccessful you will be able to see a message as to why the return didn't lodge as shown in the screenshot below:
Learn how to troubleshoot common PLS Lodgment Errors